Slowing down

This morning, instead of trying to squeeze in chores while Louis took his nap, I decided to lay in bed with him while he slept. I think he might be going through a growth spurt or something because he has been fussy after he eats and not wanting to sleep unless he's close to me. Usually I let him sleep on me for a while and then move him to the crib. It was a good trick, and sometimes he slept for more than three hours at a time. But yesterday this did not work and he would get up almost immediately after I put him down. Which meant he never really got enough rest. And that meant he was up all night fussing.

So today I decided to let him be the boss of me. I turned off the television, shut off the computer and put my phone on vibrate. Then we laid in bed and listened to the rain. I tried to really live in that moment, listening to the rain and his tiny breathing, feeling his warmth and relaxing into it. I should remember to do this more often. Or at least, recognize the precious and fleeting nature of being mother to a newborn. Time passes and before I know it, we won't be able to do this anymore. 





Louis holding Chris' hand while sleeping.



Comments

Popular Posts