My baby makes a lot of noise when sleeping

So many revelations in the first few weeks. The first few days I found that I woke up with every noise he made. Since we essentially live in a large studio apartment, I never really got a good stretch of sleep, even when he was sleeping. A couple times I even picked him up thinking he had been crying, only to realize that he just had a really wierd-sounding snore. Then I just held him for a while because I was afraid of waking him up.

Who knew how powerful sleep is? We are totally enthralled by it and its fickle nature. I never quite know when he will give in to it. Then I want it to last long enough for me to accomplish something or at least feel a little human, but not too long because the long stretches of sleep tend to happen during the day, and we want to sleep at night. Last night, btw, he slept from midnight to 4:30 in the morning. Small victory!

Anyway I'm learning to ignore his strange, distressing sounds as he sleeps. It can't really hurt him since he seems to sleep through the periodic pseudo-choking gasps. He also alternates between smiling and crying in his sleep. I am realizing that he wakes up when he wakes up, and his need for me then will more than make up for the time he's been in his sleep world.

Daddy is a favored sleeping spot.






Comments

Popular Posts