Our human nest

The other day Chris and I got to talking about an exercise in ethics: The driver of a runaway train has two options. He can't stop the train, but he can choose which track it goes down. If he switches tracks, he will certainly kill one person. If he continues on the current track, he might kill many others, but that's not certain. Which choice is more ethical? Is the action (switching tracks) worse than inertia (keeping course)?

Of course, there's not really a right answer. The driver will have to bear the burden of his choice, no matter what.

So it is for all of us. I've been thinking about what it means to be human. Our sentience or consciousness distinguishes us from other animals. But human history, as we know it and can examine it, is really so recent and brief, in light of our evolutionary history. A scant several thousand years of civilization compared to millions of years of species survival. Our thinking about ourselves as humans lacks so much perspective, and this is reflected in how we approach the challenges of the day as if we can only think/reason/persuade our way through them.

We would be better off if we acknowledged some biological and evolutionary imperatives. We are social animals. We were made for connection. Positive and nurturing relationships with other humans are key to our survival. Our capacity for ethical behavior has to be grounded in these kind of relationships.

What this means for me is that I don't think of myself as teaching my kids right from wrong so that they have the correct answers. I show them love, connection, and we work on building a love that will help them carry the burdens of all their choices. I want them to be able to live wholly with all their accomplishments and failures. I wish the same for myself.


Comments

Popular Posts