Parenting your own children is a human right

I've always been a little bothered when people say that I'm lucky to be able to stay at home with my kids. It's not that I don't appreciate our many blessings that enable me to do this. I fully realize that many people are unable to do this and wish that they could. And so I am grateful for my life, or try to be.

It's just that I think that considering being a primary caregiver a luxury is wrong. Being "lucky" to stay at home conjures images of spoiled housewives doing nothing all day. I don't think anyone who says this to me or someone else means to belittle the task of caregiving, but it reinforces the idea that "real" work happens in an office or is compensated.

In fact, any parent will tell you that caring for your children is the most difficult, most important, hopefully most rewarding work. Sure, I'm lucky to be doing this because otherwise I'd be underpaying someone else to do it for me. Whether or not women or men stay home or work elsewhere, children must be cared for. I'd venture to say it should be the primary purpose of society. Not that everyone should be reproducing. But the nurture and care of the next generation is literally how we ensure our future. We all have a basic right to participate in that if we choose.

Maybe we can stop valuing everything in economic terms. Maybe we can recognize that raising children and caring for people is an essential task and structure our society around that, instead of making money or attaining status. If only we all could be so lucky.

Comments

Popular Posts